Michael D. Sears
Michael D. Sears, a partner with Crist, Sears & Zic, LLP, has been providing quality legal services in Indiana since 1984. He received his Bachelor of Science, with distinction, from Indiana University’s Kelly School of Business and earned his Juris Doctor from Valparaiso University School of Law.
Michael concentrates his practice in litigation, labor and employment law and school law. He is licensed to practice before the Indiana Supreme Court, the Northern District of Indiana and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. He has served as faculty for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum on a variety of topics, including worker’s compensation. He represents businesses in a multitude of types of cases including contract, employment matters, coverage issues, declaratory judgment actions, worker’s compensation defense and general insurance defense litigation. Michael is also involved in the representation of several insurance companies and their insureds, which include school corporations, defending personal injury, property damage, employment discrimination and student discipline and discrimination claims, as well as state and federal constitutional claims. He has successfully argued cases before the Indiana Supreme Court and Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and has tried numerous cases in both state and federal courts in Northern Indiana.
Michael is a member of the Indiana State Bar Association and the Lake County Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Labor and Employment Law
- Civil Rights Discrimination Defense
- School Law
- General Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Indiana Supreme Court
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- Valparaiso University School of Law, 1984, Juris Doctor
- Indiana University, 1981, Bachelor of Science, with distinction, Kelly School of Business
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association